?Chicago Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf and WNBA star S

in Allgemeines 24.03.2018 04:15
von riluowanying123 • 1.453 Beiträge | 1453 Punkte

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Michael Phelps won more medals than anyone else, again. And then he said farewell, also again.Usain Bolt kissed the finish line goodbye after enhancing his Olympic legacy. Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky delivered under the burden of enormous expectations. Two strangers went from rivals to forever-linked by a display of kindness, an entire island seemed to celebrate a tennis match, and a gold medalist scampered home to avoid legal issues after a robbery story unraveled.And then the home team won soccer gold.The Rio de Janeiro Olympics were not perfect.But there were moments -- some great, some dreadful and some downright ugly -- that will not, and should not, be forgotten.Heres a look:---MEDAL LEADERSThe U.S. dominated the medal count, a rare romp in a non-boycotted games. Theres still more medals to win Sunday, but the margin of overall victory could be the most in a fully attended games in 68 years. Phelps won six medals, five of them gold, to increase his career haul to 23 Olympic titles and 28 medals overall. Ledecky and Biles each won five medals; Biles will carry the U.S. flag into the closing ceremony. And U.S. shooter Kim Rhode has now won a medal in six consecutive Olympics -- and she might not be done.---BEST FINISHBolt kissing the finish line after his ninth and final Olympic gold -- in nine final races -- was a perfect ending. He ran the anchor leg of the 4x100-meter relay for Jamaica, won emphatically to become the third athlete ever with nine golds in track and field, and insists that this will be the end of his Olympic career.Nothing left to prove, Bolt said.Hes right.I am the greatest, he added.Right again.---BEST ACT OF SPORTSMANSHIPAn easy pick.In the womens 5,000-meter heat, Abbey DAgostino of the U.S. and New Zealands Nikki Hamblin -- strangers before that day -- were involved in a tumble. DAgostino helped Hamblin up, encouraging her to finish the race. DAgostino tore a knee ligament in the fall and obviously couldnt finish. Hamblin wound up finishing last of 17 in the 5,000 final, so neither left with a medal.Instead, they got so much more.That girl is the Olympic spirit right there, Hamblin said of DAgostino. Ive never met her before. Like I never met this girl before. And isnt that just so amazing?Yes, it is.---BIGGEST EMBARRASSMENTAnother easy pick, even in a games where an Egyptian was sent home after failing to shake an Israeli judo opponents hand.Ryan Lochte is a 12-time Olympic medalist, and the odds that hell have a chance to ever swim for a 13th are as murky as some of the pools were in these Rio Games. Lochtes story that a robber put a gun to his head quickly unraveled, his three teammates who were companions that night all were left to answer legal questions after he scurried home, and more repercussions from the U.S. Olympic Committee are likely coming.Its traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country -- with a language barrier, read part of the apology that Lochte released on social media Friday.Maybe so, but it bears noting that language barrier or no language barrier, the incident occurred after Lochte left a night out at ... Club France. So it would seem like not all foreign atmospheres struck him as traumatic before now.---BREAKOUT STARWe asked. You voted.Narrowing the list of potential candidates to four -- Simone Manuel (four swimming medals), Joseph Schooling (beat Phelps for a gold in the pool), Monica Puig (whose tennis gold was Puerto Ricos first Olympic title in any sport) and Ibtihaj Muhammad (the barrier-breaking fencing medalist) -- AP asked its Twitter followers to have a say in deciding this one.The response was overwhelming, and one-sided: Puig is the breakout star of these games.Reduced to tears many times after draping the Puerto Rican flag across her body after the gold-medal match, Puig beat two of the worlds best five players to win the title.To do this ... is everything, Puig said.The Olympic ideal, personified.---BEST COACHDue respect to Mike Krzyzewski, Geno Auriemma, Martha Karolyi and the Japanese wrestling coach who found himself getting body-slammed twice in celebration by womens gold medalist Risako Kawai, this one goes to Ans Botha -- the 74-year-old great-grandmother who guided South Africas Wayde Van Niekerk to Olympic gold and a world record in the mens 400 sprint.Her style is simple. When the smile goes away and the voice gets stern, its time to get serious. Sort of like most great-grandmothers.Shes an amazing woman, Van Niekerk said. Her work ... I think it speaks for itself.---BEST COUPLEDecathlon champion Ashton Eaton of the U.S. and his wife, heptathlon bronze medalist Brianne Thiesen-Eaton of Canada, would be a very easy selection here.But what Kate Richardson-Walsh and Helen Richardson-Walsh did was even more rare.Theyre married, and played for the same gold-medal winning British womens field hockey team. In a games that had more openly gay athletes than ever before, theirs was a moment that surely resonated with many around the world who dont know the first thing about field hockey.To win an Olympic medal is special. To win an Olympic medal with your wife standing next to you ... we will cherish this for the rest of our lives, Kate Richardson-Walsh said.---BEST BACK-AND-FORTHWhen the U.S. womens soccer team was ousted by Sweden (and former U.S. coach Pia Sundhage), American goalkeeper Hope Solo raised eyebrows with her assessment of the match.But her former coach had the perfect rebuttal.We lost to a bunch of cowards, Solo said.Its OK to be cowards if you win, Sundhage countered.---BIGGEST OFF-FIELD STARA tough category, especially after Leslie Jones of Saturday Night Live parlayed hilarious Twitter commentary into an invite to Rio. Matthew McConaughey hung out with everyone from the U.S. womens rugby team to Phelps, and Gisele Bundchens catwalk in the opening ceremony was one not to forget.But the pick here is Zac Efron, who flew to Rio just to surprise the U.S. womens gymnastics team -- particularly Biles, who doesnt hide her enormous crush on the actor.He also saw Bolt and the U.S. mens basketball team, but lets face it, no one is going to ignore invites to hang with Biles and the U.S. gymnasts right now.---BEST SPINNo one might have been better at their job during the Olympics than Mario Andrada, the spokesman for the Rio Games organizing committee.When something went wrong it was his job to explain it -- and do so with the world watching and listening. He and International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams held daily hourlong briefings with reporters, and Andrada offered up some quote gems. So well go ahead and award his head-scratching statements their own set of medals.The bronze: Numbers mislead, he said, as part of an answer about ticket sales and poor crowds.The silver: Lets give these kids a break, he said of Lochte and his U.S. swimming teammates, after their incident.The gold: Chemistry is not an exact science, he said, talking about why the water at a diving pool went from blue to green.---BEST BRAZILIAN MOMENT ...Stand up and cheer, City of God.One of your own is now an Olympic champion.Slums, or favelas, are everywhere in Rio -- none more infamous than the City of God, which rose to fame through the 2002 movie of the same name that depicted life in the slum. Rafaela Silva grew up there, and she won gold in judo at these Rio Games.Now thats a made-for-Hollywood story.---... THAT IS, UNTIL THIS HAPPENEDHows this for a storybook ending for Brazil?Soccer gold -- and in most dramatic style, too.Brazil vs. Germany, mens soccer, gold-medal matchup. Neymar gives the hosts a 1-0 lead, but the Germans tie it and ultimately it goes to penalty kicks to decide the Olympic champion.Germany makes its first four.So does Brazil.Then Germany is stopped on its fifth, and the stage is set for Neymar -- who else? -- to set off a national celebration. His shot sails into the back of the net, Brazil wins and the roar could be heard all over Rio as Neymar collapsed on the field in a quivering mass of joyous tears.Forget all the problems these games had. Forget how many Brazilians opposed them in the first place.They got their perfect finish to an imperfect Olympics. Nike Air Max 93 Og . Sulaiman, 44, was chosen unanimously Tuesday in a vote by the leadership, the World Boxing Council said. Sulaiman becomes the sixth president of the organization. Nike Presto Fly Hombre . 1 position. The Mustangs (6-0), who beat Queens 50-31 last weekend, earned 17 first-place votes and 287 points in voting by the Football Reporters of Canada. Western was last ranked first in the country in October 2011. http://www.prestoflynike.es/20-yn-nike-air-max-180/ .C. -- Glenn Howard needed an extra end to move into the Masters Grand Slam of Curling final. Nike Presto Ultra Flyknit Mujer .J. -- Marty Brodeur beat the Pittsburgh Penguins yet again. Nike Air Max 180 .J. Jefferson has been charged with assaulting his girlfriend. SPRINGFIELD, Mass. -- Only Allen Iverson could deliver a Hall of Fame speech that name-checked 90s rappers, referenced Chappelles Show and thanked just about every person he met along his basketball journey. Only Shaquille ONeal could follow that act with what amounted to a half-hour comedy routine that needled former coaches and teammates and included a soap-opera shout-out.The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fames Class of 2016 lived up to its lofty billing with an epic three-hour induction ceremony Friday night at Springfields Symphony Hall, with Iverson and ONeal stealing the show.Iverson delivered a captivating 31-minute speech in which he overcame initial jitters during a memorable address that featured multiple standing ovations. Fans with No. 3 Iverson jerseys in the balcony cheered throughout.Dressed in a black suit with a black shirt and tie, Iverson paused repeatedly to collect himself at the start of his speech while thanking his three presenters -- Larry Brown, Julius Erving and John Thompson -- as well as members of his family.Fighting tears throughout, Iverson thanked former Georgetown coach Thompson for saving my life.[After] the incident happened in high school and all that was taken away ... no other schools would recruit me anymore, Iverson recalled, referencing a racial brawl at a bowling alley that landed him in jail. His conviction in the case was later overturned. My mom went to Georgetown and begged [Thompson] to give me a chance. And he did.He said he later left Georgetown only as an OK basketball player.But once I started to listen to Larry Brown and take constructive criticism, I learned how much of a great, great coach that he really is. ... Thats when I became an MVP, Iverson said.In maybe the most memorable moment of his address, Iverson recalled his first time playing against his idol, Michael Jordan.Man, I wanted to be like Mike, Iverson said. I remember the first time I played against him. I walked out on the court and I looked at him. And, for the first time in my life, a human being didnt really look real to me. You know what I mean? I dont know if you all watch the Chappelle Show, but he talked about a certain incident where somebodys seeing Rick James. Like I literally seen his aura. It looked like he was glowing.Im sitting there, and Im saying, Man, thats Michael. And Im looking at him. I cant stop looking at him. Im looking at his shoes, and Im like, man, hes got on the Jordans! It was my Mike. It was my idol, my hero.After the Jordan story, Iverson seemed to settle in. Nervously rocking at the start of his speech, he confidently thanked a Rolodex of coaches, owners, teammates and rappers.I want to thank Biggie Smalls, Redman, Jadakiss, Tupac and Michael Jackson for being my theme music throughout my career, Iverson said.Twenty-two minutes into his speech, Iverson said, The Philly fans, and that elicited a monster reaction from the balcony, which immediately engaged in an MVP chant.Added Iverson: My relationship with the fans in Philadelphia is like no other. I thank you all for the support over the years. ... You never jumped off the bandwagon, continued to support me like true fans are supposed to.Iverson also paid tribute to the ones that stuck by me throughout my journey. He cited all the barbershop talk that my family had and all the arguments my friends had with people in the barbershop and hair salon.Now you can say: Well, look, my man is solidified.Iverson closed his speech with a nod to the guys who are not my friends anymore.Im glad that you blew your cover for me to recognize that you [werent] any good to my family or me. And I appreciate yall for that. So if I make any more new friends, I know the signs, he said.Not to be outdone, ONeal took the stage for a punchline-filled speech as the final inductee of the night.ONeal referenced Luke and Laura from General Hospital and joked about his commercial endeavors, including how he sat in a Buick I knew I couldnt fit in. Drawing laughter, ONeal added, Hey, they paid me $3 million. What did you want me to say, no?His speech had serious moments, like when he thanked his parents, Phil Harrison and Lucille ONeal, for giving him the discipline and drive that drove his NBA dream.ddddddddddddIf I know my father, hes up there arguing with Wilt [Chamberlain] that his son is the best big man in the game, ONeal said.One day when some father quizzes his sons on the greats of the game, I hope Shaquille ONeal will be the answer, he later added.Maybe ONeals most memorable line came when he thanked former Los Angeles Lakers teammate Kobe Bryant.Kobe Bryant, a guy that would push me and help me win three titles in a row, said ONeal. He would also help me get pushed off the team and traded to?Miami.After detailing his on-court chess matches with Iverson, ONeal turned his attention to fellow inductee Yao Ming.For years, I never spoke to Yao. I thought there was a language barrier there, ONeal said. Then one game he hit me with a Hakeem Olajuwon bang-bang fadeaway. I said, Hey, Yao, nice move. He said, Thanks, my brother. I said, Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. You speak English? He was like, Shaq, you never talk to me. Of course I speak English.And ONeal didnt miss an opportunity to make a free throw joke.Id like to thank Nick Anderson for missing those four free throws in a row in my first NBA Finals, ONeal said. Im just playing, Nick. But when I was writing this speech, I was like, You know what? Itd be pretty funny if a terrible free throw shooter criticized a bad one. Then I said to myself, Damn, I should have listened to [underhanded free throw shooter] Rick Barry. Then I also said to myself, You know what? Id rather be a terrible free throw shooter that, in about 15 minutes, will be in the Hall of Fame. So, Rick, thanks, but no thanks.Yao won the opening tip and delivered a heartfelt speech that showcased his own sense of humor.When I heard that I was speaking first tonight, I thought that someone made a mistake, he said. I think this spot belongs to the great Allen Iverson. You want to know why? Because I need practice more than him.Flanked by presenters Bill Russell, Dikembe Mutombo and Bill Walton, Yao joked about being confused when Cuttino Mobley invited him over for soul food (I thought he meant salty food) and thanked Rockets fans for sticking by him through injuries (I am a Texan and a Houston Rocket for life). He also referenced his battles with fellow inductee ONeal by noting, Every game we played reminded me of the old saying, What doesnt kill you makes you stronger.In his speech, Michigan State?coach Tom Izzo made special mention of his players in attendance, including Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green, who heard some boos on the red carpet on his way into the event but was cheered by the crowd when referenced by Izzo.Izzo thanked his parents, Carl and Dorothy, for being his first mentors. The 90-year-old Dorothy was in attendance; Carl passed away in December.Izzo briefly got choked up as he spoke of his father, who he said instilled in him a work ethic that remains with him today.The seven Final Fours and championship are just frosting on the cake, Izzo said.The induction ceremony also featured longtime?Chicago Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf and WNBA star Sheryl Swoopes.Reinsdorf chronicled what led him to purchase the Bulls in 1984. It was a move he said legendary New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner panned, telling him he would never make any money.He enjoyed proving him wrong.Its been a great life, Reinsdorf said. I know its the fourth quarter, but Im hoping for overtime.Two of the themes on the night were family and journeys. That was the essence of Swoopes speech. She said she was thankful for her path from tiny Brownfield, Texas, and that her cancer-stricken mother, Louise, was able to see it.What a ride its been, she said.Videotaped acceptance speeches aired on behalf of Darell Garretson (27-year NBA referee), Cumberland Posey (early African-American pioneer), John McLendon (coach) and Zelmo Beaty (member of ABA all-time team).Information from The Associated Press was used in this report. Jerseys NFL China Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic Jerseys From China Cheap Jerseys 2018 Cheap Jerseys 2020 Jerseys Wholesale ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: barrasso
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 1933 Themen und 1962 Beiträge.